Friday, March 25, 2011

The end is near

Our week in Sirsi is finally over. It's currently 5:18 in the morning and we are getting ready to leave for Hubli airport in the next half hour. This week has truly been an amazing experience. I feel that food security really has a face to us now, and there is a glimmer of hope that something can be done. We saw some of the solutions that we suggested in the fall being implemented, and saw just how much they empowered farmers. Our trip really ended on a high note with our visit to the Yana Rock formations and the musicians and dancers that performed for us last night to give us a taste of real Indian culture. I really will miss the villagers of Hallusarige, the fieldwork, the late night logging parties for radio, and the various wildlife that I encountered in the computer room at night. There are just a few people that I would like to thank before I run off to the bus to start our long journey back to boston: the entire Earthwatch crew for so graciously hosting us and planning such an amazing week, our alumni mentors and UTFs for their advice and guidance, Sam Bowring and Seth Burgess for running the class, and last, but not least, my parents for allowing their little baby to leave the country for the first time and dilligently following the blog everyday (even though my mom has started calling me her little betel nut in every email she sends!)

logging off for the last time in Sirsi

David

No comments: